08 January 2010

Where is Doha, Qatar?


My family left Houston after the Christmas Holidays to move to a place called Qatar. Qatar is a peninsula located on the back side of Saudi Arabia.

Since I am now on the other half of the
world, there is a time difference of 9 hours. So when school starts at Juan Seguin at 8:00 AM, it is already 5:00 PM here in Doha. So when you start your day, we are almost finished with ours!


Here is what the Qatari flag looks like.





The City I live in is called Doha. Can you see it on the map? Doha was a small village where people fished for pearls in oysters. Then they discovered natural gas in the sea bed out in the floor of the Arabian Gulf. Now people have come from all over the world to work in Qatar.

There are 1.2 million people who live in Qatar. Compare that with 5.7 million people living in and around Houston and you can see it is a MUCH smaller place than where I used to live.

The primary religion here is Islam, though the Qataris welcome all people of faith. Judaism and Christianity are also practiced here.

The food is good as well. People eat a lot of rice and vegetables. Things like goat an lamb are also served. Since Qatar is surrounded by water, fish and shrimp are also available to cook and enjoy, though no one eats pork here.

The people are very friendly and everyone likes to talk to kids. The mall has an ice skating rink and a movie theater. There is even a rollercoaster inside!

Talk to you soon,
Nico Romero
8-Jan-09


2 comments:

docskg said...

Hello! I love your first blog. I learned from it, since I didn't know the number of people in the whole country. You are a lucky guy to have the chance to travel. I miss you, but I am proud of you and Natalia and mom and dad for trying something new.

I love you lots and look forward to more information and details about your new country and life there.

NiNi

Unknown said...

Hello guys!! I was looking for some more news.... how is life?? I started school last week, a Mcs in Children rights in Amsterdsam, so far is going really well!!
I send you a big HUG and loads of love.
Elena